Monday, May 19, 2008

Chapter eight, "What Jesus Demands from the World" by John Piper

Jesus demands us to follow him, even if it means leaving everything behind and/or suffering persecution; our lives should be totally focused on him. Being joyful in persecution shows Jesus' worth, it shows how valuable he is to us. When Jesus suffered the ultimate persecution he showed how valuable we are to him. He loves us so much and we don't even come close to deserving his love.

Jesus demands us to pick up our cross and follow him until he returns, and he has sent his spirit to guide us until that time. Jesus didn't mean a light and easy cross, in John 15:20 he said that we will face persecution. So he knows that it will be hard for us, but not so hard that we cannot bear it. That is why he sent his Holy Spirit, to strengthen us in those hard times.

We will receive eternal life and that is much greater than what we must suffer down on earth. So it is totally worth it to take up your cross and follow him.

3 comments:

Margaret Braun said...

Amen. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Kade said...

God did promise that everything would turn out for our god to those who love him, but not that everything would be good. God uses trials to test our faith. Satan uses them to tempt us and make us sin. Don't get me wrong, we chose to sin, but Satan uses the world and the things in it to tempt us to sin.

-Kole

P.S. I would like to get to know you and your family more so I will leave a comment with my email address and I would like you to delete the comment right after you read it. tell me when your on.

Kade said...

For clarification I do not believe that Satan is personally attacking someone when they are going through hard times.

-Kole